Friday, December 16, 2011

I told a lightbulb joke, and then everything went dark.

How many villages does it take to screw in a light bulb?
     I don't know.  How many?
It takes a village.
    Go on.
 What do you mean, "Go on?"
     What's the rest of the joke?
 What do you mean, "What's the rest of the joke?"  That's the whole joke.
     I don't get it.
What don't you get?
     It's stupid.
No it's not.  
      Yes it is.  It's not even a joke.
 Yes it is. 
     It doesn't even have a punchline.
 The joke is the punchline.
  That's ridiculous.  It doesn't work.   
So you don't like my jokes?
    How could I know ?  So far, you haven't told any jokes.
Maybe you weren't paying attention.
     If only that were so. 
Should I try another one? 
     Yeah, sure, OK, try another one.
How many lawyers does it take to screw over a light bulb?
     What is that?
That's a joke.
     That's not a joke. That's just stupid.  How is that possibly a joke?
I told you: joke-as-punchline.
     Again with this?
It's economical.  Joke and punchline rolled into one.  Reduces the carbon footprint.
     This is how you combat climate change?
I'm doing what I can.
     What if you just thought about the jokes? 
Ok, I got one more.
      Eegads!  Well, lay it on me, man.
How many light bulbs does it take to screw up an inn?
      Even though it looks like I'm crying on the outside, I'm laughing on the inside.
I'm plumb out of jokes.
      Well I guess I better go home and lie down now.

No comments:

Post a Comment