Sunday, June 5, 2011

We interrupt the space aliens broadcasting through the fillings in your teeth to bring you the following important message...

Kids, are you feeling lethargic and ignorant? Don't be alarmed. Try Dr. Brenner's Red Heifer Mysterious Energy Soap.  It makes you knowledgeable, yet mysterious! It gives you a super-charged jolt of energy! It defoulifies those hard-to-reach places, such as your mouth! It gets you up off the couch and out of the house! It's biodegradable! Can also be used as shampoo, a tincture, a salve, and a poultice! Great for firing up the ol' olfactory memory banks! Pick some up today! Available wherever mysterious energy soaps and tinctures are sold!  And now, back to our program...

Welcome back.  This is your host, Cousin Stevie.  (We're not real cousins.  We're not related and I don't know you.  "Cousin Stevie" is my radio persona, only). Today's guest, P.M. Mandelbaum, was wandering around outside looking for a crevice, but he stumbled inadvertently into our broadcast booth instead, so now we're interviewing him.

Cousin Stevie: Sir, How would you describe your philosophy?
PMM:  I guess it's a little Zen.


Cousin Stevie:  And what is Zen?  What does that mean to you?
PMM:  I have no idea what Zen is.


Cousin Stevie:  Then why do you say that Zen is your philosophy?
PMM:   Of all the philosophies, it's the easiest to pronounce.  And spell.


Cousin Stevie:  Do you have any other criteria for choosing a philosophy?
PMM:   No.  Just those two.

Cousin Stevie:  Would you say, then, that in appropriating an epistemological discipline, you have bored through the meta-levels of evolved consciousness deep into the psychic construct to posit an approximate model of the origins of cognition?
PMM:  Would I! Except, instead of "bored through the meta-levels," I was going to say "exfoliated the derma layers."  But other than that, you took the words right out of my mouth.  Kidnapped them, you might say.


Cousin Stevie: Why don't we take a few calls from our listeners? Hello, you're on the air with Cousin Stevie.  (We're not real cousins.  We're not related and I don't know you.  "Cousin Stevie" is my radio persona, only). What's your question for our guest, Caller?

Caller 1:  


Χι. Ωουλδ υου υσε βλεαχ βιθ κολορφαστ, ορ δο υου νοτ τρυστ θε λαβελ?

PMM:  What's that, you say? Bleach with a mixed laundry load of colored and whites? That's flirting with danger, my friend.  I wouldn't go there.

Cousin Stevie:  Thanks for that, caller. We have time for a couple more.  Hello, you're on the air.  What's your question for our guest?

Caller 2:  ವೆನ್ ಥೆಯ್ ಸೆ, "ಇಟ್ ನೆವರ್ ರೈನ್ಸ್, ಬಟ್ ಇಟ್ ಪೌರ್ಸ್," ಇಸ್ ದಿಸ್ ಅ ಕ್ರೊಕ್?
PMM: "It never rains, but it pours?" I never really understood that, either. I just...I don't really agree with it.  It puts me in mind of salt.

Cousin Stevie:  Thank you, caller.  Hello, you're on the air.  What's your question?

Caller 3: Thanks for taking my call, Cousin Stevie.  Could we be related?

Cousin Stevie:  We're not related and I don't know you. 

Caller 3:  OK, OK.

Cousin Stevie: "Cousin Stevie" is my radio persona, only.

Caller 3:  OK.

Cousin Stevie: Don't come to my house.

Caller 3: Oh, alright.  

Cousin Stevie:  What's your question for our guest? 

Caller 3:   Just this. Whenever I drive through a residential neighborhood, and I see a sign that says "Slow Children,"  I'm not sure whether they want me to reduce my speed, or whether, as a public service, they're just telling me that the kids on that block are dim-witted.  Thoughts?
PMM: Well, I can't be certain,  but I would have to guess it's a little of both. Sometimes, the signs say, "Drive Slow Children." I guess it's a warning that you should skedaddle before you get accosted by a nincompoop on a tricycle. It's like one of the other oft-misunderstood signs: "DANGER(?) NO(!) SWIMMING(!). Municipalities, as cost-cutting measures, often omit the punctuation (I supplied them in this example), and that's why people sometimes get confused.

Caller 3: Thank you.

PMM:  Go jump in a lake.  It's perfectly safe.

Caller 3: Thank you very much.

Cousin Stevie:  Thank you, caller.  And thank you for stopping in, Mr. Mandelbaum.  This has been somewhat engaging.

PMM: Not at all. 

 Cousin Stevie:  Yes it has.

PMM: No, I mean, "You're welcome." 

Cousin Stevie:  Thank you. 

PMM: Not at all.  

Cousin Stevie:  You're welcome.

PMM: Somewhat
  
This is Cousin Stevie saying "goodbye for now."   Remember. We're not real cousins.  We're not related and I don't know you.  "Cousin Stevie" is my radio persona, only.

PMM:  Can I please wake up, now?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment